Note: this posting is for four home-based part-time Municipal Operations Consultant positions.
Closing: September 1, 2017 or when filled
Salary Range: $29.00 – $45.00 hourly based on time worked
These positions are part of the Public and Government Affairs Team with responsibility to provide direct business and operational technical assistance to elected officials and staff of League member municipalities, especially in the areas of finance and overall management. This technical assistance could take on a variety of forms, but it will primarily be accomplished by developing relationships with local officials, providing training and guidance to staff of local municipalities overseeing the member’s financial operations and overall management, and communicating with local elected officials regarding their role in the oversight of municipal operations and the need for resources to be provided to successfully maintain these operations. Regular contact with the Director of Municipal Research and Strategic Initiatives and other subject matter experts will be required.
- Provides assistance and training – primarily on-site and in-person – directly to employees of League member municipalities, focused especially in the areas of finance and management; this could include, but is not limited to, operations, internal controls, and governmental accounting.
- Meets with and communicates with leadership – including both elected officials and staff of League member municipalities to discuss municipal operations, financial policies, staffing, and other concerns of significance to the members. Develops solutions, policies, etc., to address financial and operational challenges.
- Identifies financial and management issues that could affect a city’s future viability and develops and executes strategies to address those issues.
- Responds to inquiries from League members and communicates results of member visits to Director of Municipal Research and Strategic Initiatives.
- Home-based part-time positions. Four (4) positions will ideally be based in diverse geographical areas so as to be able to provide assistance to League members in all areas of the state (Western, South Central, North Central, Eastern).
- Residence in the four respective state regions desired. Requires regular travel within the state of North Carolina and occasional overnight stays. (Mileage reimbursement provided per IRS Guidelines)
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy or other relevant subject area. Master’s degree preferred. Ten plus years experience in local government preferably in management or finance capacity. Knowledge of the North Carolina General Assembly, North Carolina state government, and/or local government preferred. Experience working with non-profit, membership-based organizations also helpful.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are crucial. Ability to exercise considerable tact, courtesy and discretion in frequent contact with public officials and municipal managers and others. Must be highly skilled in strategic thinking. Ability to assess situations, assemble coalitions and build support for ideas to influence behavior, and lead strategic advocacy initiatives. Also, candidate must effectively express complex ideas orally and in writing and prepare and present presentations to League members and others to further legislative advocacy and other goals of the League.
Valid Class C Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
These positions report to the Director of Municipal Research and Strategic Initiatives and is located in Raleigh, NC.