Salary Range: Depends on qualifications
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.
The Office of Data and Performance Office (ODaP, a new cross-departmental function managed by the IT Services Department, will play a critical role in supporting these commitments. The function of the ODaP is to work with the City Manager and departments to embed data-driven, outcomes-based accountability, decision-making and transparency into the practices and processes of the organization.
The operating team you will join combines data and performance experts with staff from Equity & Inclusion, Community and Public Engagement, Budget, and the Police Department. The program is overseen by a Governance Board that includes management and staff from Legal, Police, Equity, Capital Projects, Community & Public Engagement, IT Services, Finance, the City Clerk’s office and the City Manager’s office.
We are excited to hire a full-time Performance Analyst to help build our new Data and Performance program. This is an exciting opportunity to support positive change in our community and improve outcomes for the City’s programs and services.
You will work with members of the community, with outside agencies, and with staff across all departments to use the Results-based Accountability (RBA) framework to define program outcomes, identify strategies, identify performance measures to track impact, and determine data collection and processing needs. You will also work directly with the data to perform analyses, diagnose issues, and identify trends and opportunities, collaborating with IT data operations staff to maintain high-quality, automated systems for working with data. As a core program team member, you will participate in the creation of a robust training program for City staff and contribute to ongoing communication with external and internal stakeholders. Finally, you will have the opportunity to work with organizations like What Works Cities, the Johns Hopkins Center for Government Excellence, the Harvard Kennedy School Government Performance Lab, and the Urban Institute National Neighborhood Indicators Partnership.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performance Strategy Facilitation – Collaborate with staff to improve program and service outcomes using a structured process based on the Results-based Accountability (RBA) framework.
- Community Indicator Development – Help facilitate community conversations to identify outcomes and indicators to assess progress toward those outcomes using the RBA framework.
- Data Development – Collaborate with staff and community in identifying data needed to support effective performance measures and community indicators. Work with department staff and IT data operations staff to create processes for collecting and processing the data in as automated a fashion as possible. Extract and use spatial data from sources such as the American Community Survey data for analysis.
- Data Analysis and Presentation – Prepare and analyze data to identify trends or patterns in order to evaluate program or strategy performance, diagnose problems, or discover potential strategies for improvement. Prepare presentations and help design and implement analytical and interactive presentation dashboards, maps, visualizations and reports on program performance, collaborating with other IT specialists as needed.
- Integrated Budget and Performance Process – Work closely with budget, equity, and community engagement staff to support a budget process that integrates data, performance and accountability and community engagement.
- Training – Help lead regular courses for staff on the RBA framework and on the use of data tools like Google Sheets and Google Data Studio.
- Data Automation – Collaborate with IT data operations staff to develop and maintain automated systems for capturing, processing and using data in City operations.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills, be a creative problem solver, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and will be curious, self-motivated, dedicated to continuous learning, and highly adaptable. This person will be both an independent contributor and work on a team.
To be successful in this role, applicants will have at least 3 years of data analysis experience, 2 years of experience with database query, and at least 1 year of experience working with data preparation, analysis and presentation tools like spreadsheets, Python and/or R, ArcGIS, Google Data Studio, Tableau, SQL, etc. Experience in data analysis to assess performance, diagnose issues, and identify trends and opportunities as well as data collection and processing experience is also required.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
To be considered for this exciting position, please submit a cover letter.
Typical hours are Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm with occasional evening or weekend work as needed to engage with members of the community.
This position is open until filled, with applications being reviewed daily.