Closing: Open until filled
The North Carolina League of Municipalities (NCLM) is a service and advocacy organization representing nearly every city and town in North Carolina. NCLM is recruiting for a Research Strategist. This position is part of the Public and Government Affairs Team with responsibility to support the development and execution of the League’s research program and assist in policy analysis and other strategic activities, as well as support the development and execution of research and policy development and oversight for the Public and Governmental Affairs Department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This is accomplished by managing day to day activities of the League’s research program, leading the execution of the League’s regularly conducted surveys, analyzing fiscal policies and economic activities, developing new areas of research that would be beneficial to League members, conducting research, organizing policy development processes, and assisting local government officials. This position will be responsible for the following:
- Support the development and execution of the League’s research program by assisting in the development and oversight of research projects that would be beneficial to League member cities and towns; assisting in collection and analysis of data for the League Forecast of Projected State-Collected Revenues and interim Revenue Reports; managing the League’s regular surveys of its members; reviewing and editing survey instruments; developing policies and procedures for research projects; studying and analyzing publications; negotiating and managing contracts for research services; and developing grant proposals/monitoring expenditure of grant funds.
- Analyzes fiscal policies and economic activities by assisting in the identifying and reporting of governmental and economic actions that affect League member cities and towns; analyzing the fiscal effects of proposed legislation; and estimating the fiscal effect of changing the revenue structure for specific municipalities.
- Makes recommendations for League policy positions by recommending potential improvements; monitoring legislation; communicating with legislative staff; and providing overall coordination, staffing, and assistance to League policy committees.
- Assists local government officials by responding to inquiries; presenting research results; preparing and providing responses to questions; developing conference programs; and attending conferences and training sessions
- Conducts Research by developing survey instruments; collecting, compiling, editing, and verifying statistical and survey data; and writing interpretative reports and summaries.
- Some travel is required for this position.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. Two to five years’ experience in budgeting, financial analysis, research, data analysis or other related areas. Knowledge of the North Carolina General Assembly, North Carolina state government, and/or local government preferred. Experience working with non-profit, membership-based organizations is ideal. Experience with PowerBI and/or data visualization software preferred.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills are crucial. Ability to exercise considerable tact, courtesy and discretion in frequent contact with public officials and municipal managers and others. Must be highly skilled in strategic thinking. Ability to assess situations, assemble coalitions and build support for ideas to influence behavior, and lead strategic advocacy initiatives. Also, candidate must effectively express complex ideas orally and in writing and prepare and present presentations to League members and others to further legislative advocacy and other goals of the League.
Skills/Certifications/License: Selected candidate must have great interpersonal and communication skills and possess a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Valid Class C Driver’s License.
How to Apply: We are looking for an eager, self-motivated candidate who desires to work for a progressive, mission-driven organization dedicated to supporting North Carolina local government. If you meet the requirements and are interested in being considered for this position, we encourage you to apply. To apply for this position, please apply via ADP (see email for instructions). Positions are opened until filled.
The NC League of Municipalities is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by law.