Closing: December 6, 2015
Hiring Salary: $61,932.00 – $77,428.00 Annually
Provides difficult technical and intermediate professional budget, research and strategic plan analysis work related to the planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluating the city-wide governmental operations to include all operating and capital projects. Work includes analyzing, reviewing and making professional recommendations for the allocation and distribution of revenues and expenditures for city departments and outside agencies; providing fiscal and operational oversight throughout the year, providing advice on organizational and developmental performance and productivity improvements, developing related policies and procedures, ensuring departments comply with current policies and procedures, being a subject matter expert in the budget financial system and maintaining that system appropriately; providing direction in financial and statistical analysis, reviewing and approving department changes and supplemental, and acting in the absence of the Budget Director.
- Develops and recommends cost effective and efficient budgets; advises and assists departments in the preparation of budget estimates and supporting data
- Compiles data and prepares summaries, analyses and recommendations on budgetary requests and programs
- Assists in developing policies, procedures, and practice governing the development, formulation and maintenance of the budget; makes recommendations on existing and proposed policies, practices and procedures; develops, presents and defends findings and recommendations to stakeholder groups and City decision-makers
- Assists management in program design, development and implementation; conducts program evaluations
- Conducts studies and research and prepares reports on financial and administrative issues and provides recommendations on management decisions; performs quantitative and statistical and process improvement analyses
- Assists departments in reviewing programs/services for process changes and provides recommendations for potential cost cutting measures
- Assists in the development and application of the city’s strategic plan and organizational performance measurement and monitors service level data, including output, effectiveness, efficiency, and outcome trends;
- Assists departments in the development of council agenda items throughout the year
- Prepares and assembles reports, narratives, charts and graphs for use in justifications and presentation of budget and programs
- Assists with the development of forms and instructions for preparing departmental budget requests and work programs
- Prepares budget instructions and materials and conducts related training; provides training and assistance to departments which will encourage review processes, procedures, policies and evaluation methods and tools
- Monitors assigned department’s expenditures and budget performance; analyzes service delivery and agency performance; assists agencies with identifying solutions to improve; secures workloads, programs and needs
- Prepare budget documents by updating and revising requests, maintaining system reports, monitoring reconciliations, forecasting revenue projections, preparing salary information and recommending increases, ensuring document data accuracy, and ensuring timely submission of all documents and public notices.
- Attends and participates in budget meetings and hearings
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or Public Administration, or closely related field.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years of experience in government budget development and administration.
Other Requirements: Valid Driver’s License
Note: Driving and criminal history check required. Selected candidate will also be required to complete a post-offer drug screen.
Three (3) years of professional experience in governmental budgeting, management analysis and/or social science research.. Municipal experience preferred.
Advanced Microsoft Excel, Word, Adobe and PowerPoint skills.
Demonstrated experience preparing written reports, giving presentations, analyzing budgets, reviewing and interpreting statistical information, and working on multiple projects.