Closing: December 11, 2017
Salary Range: $43,560 – $78,408 annually
Seeking a driven, nimble, service-minded self-starter: Durham County is hiring a new Strategic Initiative Analyst for Durham County Strategic Initiatives, an internal consulting and capacity-building team based in the County Manager’s Office. We’re looking for a curious, positive and ambitious public servant who is laser-focused on bringing out and building up the best in our workforce. The analyst will lead departmental consulting projects; assist with innovation and continuous improvement trainings and forums to help employees analyze problems, explore opportunities and test ideas; aid performance measurement and management systems building; support the County’s employee idea management process; and help in strategic planning implementation efforts. This position serves as a model for positive change in County operations and culture. Strong writing, speaking, analytical and interpersonal skills are a must.
Performs responsible professional and administrative strategic planning and change management work designed to improve County-wide community and governmental initiatives; performs related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Strategic Initiative Manager as part of the Strategic Initiatives team within the County Manager’s Office.
- Assists with project management of performance improvement and community/governmental strategic initiatives;
- Assists Budget and Management Services and other stakeholders to build and sustain performance measurement/management system;
- Assists portfolios with performance management;
- Works with variety of internal and external stakeholders to develop feasible solutions to issues;
- Assists with the development of project communication and engagement strategies;
- Assists with strategic planning and strategy implementation efforts;
- Assists with innovation and continuous improvement projects and strategies;
- Identifies, researches and analyzes no and low-cost solutions to issues;
- Creates presentations and reports for the County Manager, the Board of County Commissioners and other officials as directed, including but not limited to performance, innovation and
- continuous improvement reports;
- Schedules meetings, maintains office records and provides clerical support for the office; and
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the organization and functions of County government; thorough knowledge of the principles of public administration and strategic planning; strong business, analytical, planning, interpersonal and critical thinking skills; ability to analyze community and administrative issues or approaches and offer sound recommendations; ability to plan and facilitate effective meetings; ability to define objectives, assign priorities, and meet completion deadlines; ability to clearly communicate complex material in writing and verbally in a professional manner; the ability to create and make effective public presentations; ability to gather, analyze, and evaluate information and to prepare concise and informative reports; and the ability to effectively collaborate with government officials, community agencies, the general public, and others at all organizational levels.
Education & Experience
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business management or a related field and two years of professional administrative experience in government, business or non-profit sector.