Information is now available and registration is now open for the NCLGBA Summer 2011 Conference, July 13th-15th at the Hilton Riverfront Hotel in New Bern.
Several great workshops have been planned for the conference, providing an opportunity for attendees to get valuable information and gain professional certification credits. Workshop topics include:
- Opening panel discussion focused on leadership development through the ranks of an organization from the budget analyst level to the executive management level. Special guests for this session include Hickory City Manager, Mick Berry and High Point Assistant City Manager Pat Pate.
- Review of the 2011 General Assembly session and the impact of the new State budget and other legislation, provided by the NC League of Municipalities’ Karl Knapp and the NC Association of County Commissioners’ Rebecca Troutman.
- Economic Update from Michael Walden, PhD, North Carolina State University
- Transforming Utilities – Tips and practical examples for dramatically changing approaches to customer service.
- Balancing Your Budget – The Critical Role of Community Values: Presentation of a new, interactive game that focuses on the importance of selecting and using community values to determine revenue increases and budget reductions during tough times.
- Making Grants Happen – Presenters experienced with the arts of seeking, writing and managing grants will share what they have learned and explain how municipalities and counties can best obtain and coordinate these efforts.
- Promoting Tourism with the Past and Present – Highlights strategic initiatives used to create a productive tourism industry, integrating recent development with the city’s historic past (off-site session).
- Presentation on North Carolina History by Dr. Freddie Parker, North Carolina Central University.
- Revaluation and Revenue Neutral Tax Rates – What the current economic situation means for the future of property valuations and tax collections.
To learn more about the upcoming Summer Conference, visit the information page on our website or download the (revised) information packet and registration form.