On Thursday, May 20th, from 12 Noon to 1 p.m., the UNC School of Government will host an important webinar for local governments:
DELIVERING BAD NEWS: HOW TO HELP CITIZENS UNDERSTAND THE REALITIES OF TOUGH ECONOMIC TIMES
What will you say to your citizens, constituents, or the media about upcoming budget cuts or tax increases in your community?
This webinar will help elected officials and public administrators be prepared to communicate about these and other challenges currently facing local governments. Presenter Mark Weaver is a national communications advisor with two decades of communication expertise. He is president of Communications Counsel Inc. and a frequent presenter in the School of Government’s Public Executive Leadership Academy.
Topics will include:
- Application of communication principles of primacy, inoculation, and cognitive dissonance
- How public officials can effectively respond to public concerns
- The role of blogs and other social media
- Points on public disagreement
- The changing role of traditional news media outlets
For more information, contact Susan Jensen, (919) 962-0940 or firstname.lastname@example.org.